The Addis Ababa School of Commerce (widely known as Commerce), which is now under the administration of Addis Ababa University, is located in the area locally known as ‘Senga Tera’. It was established in 1943 as a commercial school in Ethiopia. The area is becoming the business center of the city and the headquarters of most banks, insurances, and the National Bank of Ethiopia.
The establishment of the school was a major contribution to the business sector of Ethiopia, as the country was recovering from the five-year Italian invasion and occupation. It was a school designed to modernize the business sector and meet the knowledge and skills requirement of foreign companies coming to Ethiopia at the time. The importance of the school was of great importance as the establishment of many government offices and businesses at that time also increased the demand for modern office workers, office management and secretarial staff, as well as knowledgeable and skilled workers.